Study Abroad Guru


  1. How do I begin the process of studying in the United States ?

  2. As a prospective international student, there are four basic steps you must complete in order to study at a USA university:

    • Decide which universities to apply
    • Contact the Office of Admissions at each school and request an admissions application for graduate study. This application will give you details about the process at each school. While you are waiting, it would be wise time to take the TOEFL test and any other examinations that will be required.
    • Complete the applications you decide to pursue and to arrange to have all of your records of secondary and post-secondary study sent directly to the schools you have selected. Then send in the applications and the application fees according to the instructions in each application packet.
    • When you have been accepted, you will be sent a form called an I-20, which is the document you will need in order to get a student visa.

  3. Is it possible to transfer from one USA university or college to another without starting my program over ?
  4. It is quite common for students to transfer from one school to another at the undergraduate level. In fact, some schools (many 2-year colleges) are designed to be transfer schools and offer only the first two years of undergraduate study. Their graduates often go on to do the last two years of a bachelor’s degree at another school.

  5. What are the benefits of studying in USA ?
    • Study at high quality institutes
    • Choose from a broad range of programs.
    • Enjoy the US student lifestyle.
    • Improve your English skills.
    • Make friends from all corners of the world.
    • Get international experience for your CV.
  6. Is it possible to study in the USA after 12th grade ?
  7. The requirements for getting a Bachelor’s degree in USA is different. To be eligible for admission to a USA university, you must meet certain minimum entry requirements. These include a secondary school diploma or examination results, English language ability, and in many cases a score from one of the USA university admissions tests.

  8. How do I decide which USA schools to apply to ?
  9. Research your options and define your priorities. Contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you to choose the school that is right for your needs and requirements.

  10. What is the difference between a college and a university ?
  11. Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees while universities offer graduate degrees as well. The terms are often used interchangeably.

  12. Are there age limitations to attend USA universities ?
  13. In general, you must have completed high school and you must be at least 17 years of age.

  14. What is the academic calendar for universities in the USA ?
  15. The academic year usually runs from August through May with breaks for holidays. Most universities use either the semester system (two terms), the quarter system (students attend three out of four total terms), or the trimester system (three terms).

  16. What is the difference between "Undergraduate" and "Graduate" degrees?
  17. Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

  18. What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?
  19. Associate Degree: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a Bachelor program. Bachelor Degree: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.

  20. What are the different types of post-graduate degrees?
  21. Master’s Degree: a two-year degree providing additional specialization. Doctorate: a five to eight-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.

  22. Is it possible to take a professional degree program without first earning a Bachelor's degree?
  23. Yes, but they are highly selective and require a heavy course-load across a total of six years of study.

  24. Is it possible to obtain a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree at the same time?
  25. In a joint-degree program, students begin a graduate program in their fourth year of college, earning both degrees upon graduation.

  26. What is the length of study for MBA programs in the USA?
  27. MBA programs typically last for one to two years.

  28. Can you work while studying in the USA?
  29. With permission of the International Student Office, international students may work on campus for up to 20 hours/week during their first year and can apply to work off-campus in subsequent years.

  30. What is the difference between online studies and distance studies?
  31. Essentially there is no difference.

  32. What is distance education?
  33. Distance education occurs when a student and an instructor are located in different places. Learning occurs by mail, telephone, internet, or by other means of communication.

  34. Is distance learning available at the graduate level?
  35. Yes. To find accredited online distance learning programs, please contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you to choose the right course for you.

  36. Can I transfer to a USA university from a university outside of the United States?
  37. Yes, although you may lose some credits and require extra time to complete your degree.

  38. What is the transfer application process?
  39. You must fulfill the requirements of a freshman applicant, as well as any supplemental information required by the transfer institution.

  40. What is a community college ?
  41. Community colleges are typically state-supported and provide the first two years of a four-year undergraduate degree.

  42. Why should I attend a community college ?
  43. Community colleges offer lower costs, easier admission policies, close ties to state schools, and many of the required courses are connected to a degree.

  44. How do you transfer from a community college to a four-year university ?
  45. The transfer process varies from school to school. It is best to target the four-year institution early and determine what is needed to transfer.

  46. How can I find out if an institution is accredited ?
  47. Contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you to check if the institution is accredited.

  48. How can I find out if a specialized program of study is accredited ?
  49. Contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you to check if a specialized program of study is accredited.

  50. How can I find out which universities are rated best for a specific academic major ?
  51. Contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you to check if a specialized program of study is accredited.

  52. What are English language proficiency requirements ?
  53. USA universities require an English language proficiency test before admission to ensure you can read, write, and speak fluently.

  54. I want to study in the USA, but my English proficiency isn’t good enough yet. What can I do ?
  55. There are a number of programs for English language study in the United States and online. There are also local possibilities in Sri Lanka. Contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help you find an English language course suitable for you.

  56. Do students have to study a fixed set of subjects or can they individually form their major ?
  57. It depends: some degree programs are highly structured. Bachelors' degrees are very flexible and sometimes allow you to create your own program.

  58. When do you declare a major ?
  59. You do not declare a major until the end of you second year of school.

  60. What is a liberal arts college ?
  61. A liberal arts college offers courses in humanities, languages, math, social and natural sciences, and students take 25-50% of their courses in their major.

  62. What are the benefits of a liberal arts education ?
  63. A liberal arts college offers a smaller setting and teaches critical thinking and communication skills necessary in an ever-changing job market.

  64. What is the credit system in USA universities ?
  65. A credit is a value assigned to each course which reflects the number of hours the class will meet with the professor each week.

  66. What is a GPA ?
  67. Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student's academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.

  68. What is the USA grading system ?
  69. Letter grades indicate a student's academic performance. Each letter grade has a numeric value which is used to calculate a GPA, on a scale of 4.0.

  70. How are grades determined in USA universities ?
  71. Grades are typically determined by quizzes, midterms, final exams, papers, projects, class attendance, and class participation.

  72. What is the difference between state and private universities ?
  73. State universities are funded by the state and are generally larger and less expensive than private universities.

  74. Are there opportunities for university exchange programs ?
  75. Contact the office responsible for international programs at your institution to ask if your school has exchange agreements with USA universities.

  76. How can an international student find out what academic subjects from their country are acceptable for a USA university ?
  77. Each USA university will want to review an international student's subjects and may ask the student to contact a credential evaluation agency.

  78. How can I apply for vocational training in the United States ?
  79. USA institutions cannot issue I-20 forms for non-degree study, including vocational training. Community colleges offer technical/vocational study for an associate's degree.

  80. What’s the best general advice for an incoming student ?
  81. Attend the closest Education USA advising center's pre-departure orientation. Then, when you arrive on campus, attend all orientation meetings scheduled at your college or university.

  82. What are the work-during-study opportunities ?
  83. International students are allowed to work 20 hours a week. The minimum wage is between $7 and $8 per hour.

  84. How do I get a Work-After-Study visa in the USA ?
  85. In the US, the international students holding F-1 student visa can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) which allows them to stay back for one year after completion of the course, provided they work in their field of study. Students who hold a degree from the US government’s designated list of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects can extend their OPT by another 17 months which allows them to work in the US for 29 months. During this period, students can find a permanent job and apply for a long-term visa.

  86. What are the most popular courses in the USA ?
  87. STEM (Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects are popular among international as well as domestic students in the USA. However, Psychology,Business Administration, Education, Economics and Political Science are some other popular courses in the education hub.

  88. What are the major scholarships for international students in USA ?
  89. Fulbright Program: this program provides opportunities to graduates and young professionals from their native country to study, conduct research or teach their native language in the US. Hubert H Humphrey Fellowship: this is awarded to outstanding candidates who want to undertake postgraduate study in selected fields like Education, Human Resource Management, Public Health and Communication, among others. The scholarship covers the entire tuition fee and living expenses in the country. Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship: this scholarship is awarded to applicants from developing countries with professional experience. The scholarship is also awarded to Japanese citizens who are mid-aged working professionals. Joint Japan scholarship covers tuition fee, monthly stipend, round trip flight fare and travel allowance.

  90. How are classes held?
  91. If you have been researching about studying in US universities, you must have come across terms like Spring, Summer and Fall. Being an international student, chances are you will apply to start your studies in the Fall semester. Fall semester starts in August or September and continues till January followed by Spring semester till May and Summer, which lasts till July. Interestingly, your degree matters not on the semesters or years of classes but on the credit points that you earn. In fact, the most important element in the degree granting process in the USA is credit points earned by the student. Credit points are, basically, the number of hours you give to a particular course. “You can finish a two-year program in less time if you can earn the required credits in less than a year,”
    US universities offer huge flexibility in their courses, which enables you to select your choice of subject from a variety of topics. In your undergraduate studies in US, many colleges let you to take classes in a variety of subjects in the first 1-2 years before you decide on your major.

  1. Is the UK good for international students?
  2. The UK is known for providing a High quality of education. It is one of the world's leading destinations for international students, second only to the USA. UK universities are among the best in the world, and consistently perform well in world rankings. They also have a reputation for world-class research.

  3. Is the UK cheap for international students ?
  4. London is the most expensive student city in the world for Sri Lankan students. The tuition fee at most colleges are more expensive for international students compared to British or European residents. There are still a few colleges which are more affordable compared to others.

  5. Is it cheaper to study in the UK or the USA ?
  6. Studying in the UK is generally cheaper than studying at equally ranked universities in the United States. Given that degree programs are also often shorter than those at home, students are poised to get the best bang for their buck by pursuing a British education.

  7. Can I work while I study ?
  8. Yes, international students can work up to 20 hours part-time per week during their study and up to 40 hours per week during their vacations.

  9. Is there a possible way to get through the admissions if my scores are lower than the Standard admissions requirement ?
  10. Many universities have pathway programs or foundation programs that allow students to prepare for a degree courses. The duration of these programs is 6 months to 1 year.

  11. Are there any entrance exams to apply for UK universities ?
  12. Most courses don’t require any entrance exams as British universities accept the Indian academic marks, but certain professional courses like LLB and Medicine require tests like LNAT and UKCAT respectively. GMAT too is only required for MBA or Masters in certain universities.

  13. Do I need a medical test before I apply for UK Student visa ?
  14. Students must undertake a tuberculosis screening test which includes a chest X-ray and the test should be taken at an accredited clinic or hospital approved by UK visa Home Office.

  15. Do I need to pay for medical treatment in the UK ?
  16. Students can avail the health care under NHS (National Health Service). At the point of applying for your visa, students will be expected to pay up to £470.00 per year to access the NHS.

  17. Can I change course once I reach the university ?
  18. You can change course, provided your new choice of course is in the same department and university.

  19. Is it possible to get the student visa extended ?
  20. Upon successful completion of your course of studies, you may be able to extend in order to study further or to get a Tier 2 Work visa.

  21. How long does it take to get student visa for UK ?
  22. If you fulfill all the criteria by the selected university and a successful completion of paper works and forms it should take about 15 working days.

  23. If I live with a host family, will I Have my own room ?
  24. Most students have their own bedroom, but if joining a larger family, you will be told in advance if you have to share.

  25. If I live with a host family, what meals will my host family provide ?
  26. At the very least, your host family will provide you with food for you to make your own breakfast and packed lunch to take to school, and they will prepare an evening meal for you.

  27. If I live with a host family, where will I wash my clothes ?
  28. In most cases, you will have to do your own washing and ironing. However, every host family will have a washing machine, iron and ironing board and airing cupboard, and many will have a tumble dryer. They will let you know how and when to use these facilities.

  29. Will I have to take a test in English language ?
  30. For many courses, if you do not speak English as your first language, you may be required to prove your skills. You may also need to take a particular type of test – a Secure English Language Test (SELT) – if you require a student visa. IELTS and Trinity’s ISE (if taken at a Trinity SELT center in the UK) are both approved as a SELT and accepted for UK study visa purposes. Other English language tests, such as the Pearson Test of English (PTE), TOEFL and Cambridge Assessment English C1 Advanced, and C2 Proficiency tests are widely accepted by UK higher education providers. The pass level will differ according to your study topic. Entry requirements are usually listed under each course.

  31. When should I apply ?
  32. You’ll need to apply by June or July for many of the postgraduate courses that start in September and October, in the same year. However, don’t wait until the last moment to apply – you’ll also need time to sort out your finances, travel arrangements, accommodation, and possibly your visa. To be safe, apply at least six months in advance – so around March for a course that starts in September or October. You should also add an extra four months or more if you apply for funding from organisations in your own country, as you will be asked for proof of finance at the application stage. Finally, some courses start at different times of the year so please check with one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you.

  33. Is it easy to get a UK student visa ?
  34. Fortunately, the UK government has helpfully digitized many of its visa procedures and you can easily apply online via the Visa4UK automated system. Third-party experts with knowledge in UK immigration law and procedures such as our Student Counsellors (+94 (0) 117 611 144) may also offer their assistance.

  35. Can I get Permanent Residency in UK ?
  36. To get PR in the UK, one needs to demonstrate a stable income along with a full-time job and good moral conduct. Upon finishing their studies, they should get a full-time job under the Tier 2 Visa category. After 5 years of working, one can apply for the 'indefinite leave to remain' ILR which gives them the 'permanent resident' status.

  37. What are the requirements for postgraduate study in the UK ?
  38. You’ll find specific details alongside individual course outlines. Generally, however: For a Master's degree, you'll need a qualification that’s comparable to a UK undergraduate degree, normally to 2.1 standard or above. Also, you’ll need to demonstrate enthusiasm, skill and knowledge of your discipline (and possibly relevant work experience), particular if your first degree is in another topic. For a PhD or a Master's in Research (MRes), entry requirements can be higher. You may be turned down if your first degree is not in a relevant area, and you may also need a master’s degree to study at doctorate (Phd) level. You may need to pass an entrance test for some types of courses, for example the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) for the MBA If you want to be a PhD student, you usually need to create a research proposal. If you’re still not sure whether you meet the course requirements, please contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you.

  39. What can I do to increase my chances of getting on a postgraduate course in the UK ?
  40. You need to take time to write your application. But before you get to that stage, it’s essential to find a course that matches your skills and your needs. If you’re not certain which postgraduate program is right for you, research the possibilities and think about your requirements (as well as those of the university) before making your final list.

  41. What are the stages for applying for a postgraduate course in the UK ?
    • Completing an application for each university you want to consider you.
    • Writing a personal statement that explains why you want to study, and why they should want you as a postgraduate student.
    • Supplying written references from two former tutors or employers who know how you perform in an academic or professional setting. Your choice of referee will depend upon the course.
    • Supplying official transcripts and records that prove your achievements to date. You may also need to supply proof of your English language proficiency
    • Paying a fee for your postgraduate course application, if required.

  42. When should I apply ?
  43. You’ll need to apply by June or July for many of the postgraduate courses that start in September and October, in the same year. However, don’t wait until the last moment to apply. You’ll also need time to sort out your finances, travel arrangements, accommodation, and possibly your visa. To be safe, apply at least six months in advance – so around March for a course that starts in September or October.

  44. Can I study a part-time postgraduate course in the UK ?
  45. If you need a visa to study in the UK, you will only be allowed to study full-time courses on a Tier 4 student visa.

  46. How much do students earn per hour UK ?
  47. The UK has a National Minimum Wage (NMW) that all employers must abide by. The NMW for a student is £8.72 per hour.

  48. What are entry requirements ?
  49. Entry requirements vary between universities and colleges. If you are unsure you meet a university/college's criteria, it is best to contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you.

  50. How long will my visa take to be processed ?
  51. Visa processing time varies by country, but usually takes between 3 and 8 weeks. You can view a detailed breakdown of the estimated processing times for your country on the UK Government website.

  52. I want to study in the UK, however I have a wife and/or children. Can I bring them with me ?
  53. It may be possible for them to stay during the duration of your studies in the UK, provided your children are under the age of 18 when they first enter the UK and you meet the requirements as set out by the Home Office. You must also be studying at a Master’s Degree level on a course duration in excess of 9 months in order to bring your family members with you.

  54. What is a CAS and how do I get one ?
  55. CAS stands for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. This is a letter that you will receive from your University once your application has been accepted. Our counselors will co-operate with our partner universities to get your CAS document.

  56. I'd like to pay my deposit - how do I do so ?
  57. There are multiple ways you can pay your deposit - bank transfer, online, bankers draft or credit card.

  58. Do I need to show proof of funds during the application process ?
  59. You must show proof of funds as part of the application process. You will need to send bank statements to show that you have saved all unpaid tuition fees and living expenses in your bank account for 28 days.

  60. How soon can I apply for accommodation ?
  61. Students starting in September can apply for university halls of residence from March onwards. Private accommodation is open for applications all year round.

  62. How can I find out how a UK university is ranked ?
  63. The UK does not have an official system of university rankings. Several newspapers produce rankings using a variety of sources for their data. However, these may not have had input or support from the universities themselves. Those publishing ‘league tables’ include the Financial Times, the Guardian, The Times, The Times Higher Educational Supplement and The Sunday Times.

  64. English has been my first language throughout school and college. Do I still have to take the English Language Test ?
  65. Most British institutions require you to prove your proficiency in English only if it has not been your first language. You may be required to either take the IELTS test which is administered regularly by the British Council at all its centers. Alternatively, the TOEFL is also recognized by British institutions. Contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you.

  66. What are the course entry requirements for UK ?
    • - For undergraduate courses you usually need to have achieved further education qualifications (such as A-levels, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers, or equivalent qualifications from your country) in related subjects. Find out more at UCAS or contact one of our Student Counsellors on +94 (0) 117 611 144 who will help and advice you.
    • - For postgraduate courses you usually need to have achieved a relevant undergraduate qualification.
    • - In some cases, work experience may count towards entry to a course.
    • - If English isn’t your first language, the university or college may ask you to take an English language test or show your English language qualifications before you can enroll. This may also be necessary for your visa application.
    • - If you are unsure whether your qualifications meet the entry requirements, talk to the course provider or visit the UK NARIC website.

  67. What type of educational institutions are available for international students ?
  68. A publicly funded institution of further or higher education (a university) with maintaining records of enrollment and attendance which are readily available to us;

  69. What type of courses are allowed to follow for student visa ?
  70. A recognized full-time degree course at either a Diploma, Bachelor, Masters or PhD level.

  1. Why should I study in Australia ?
    • A wide variety of choices are available with universities spread across the country from Perth to Sydney and Melbourne to Tasmania.
    • ‘The Group of Eight’ is a network of eight leading Australian universities, which set the benchmark in academic excellence.
    • Globally recognised degrees
    • Five out of the world’s top 30 student cities are in Australia.
    • Australian universities have produced over 15 Nobel laureates.
    • The Australian government spends over $200,000,000 on scholarships for international students every year.
    • Strong community of Indian migrants in cities like Melbourne and Sydney explore the natural wonders of Australia during vacations.

  2. Which are the top-ranked universities in Australia ?
  3. There is stiff competition among the top-ranked universities in Australia and every year we observe one university overtaking the other. As per the latest QS World University Rankings, the top five Australian universities are - Monash University, Australian National University, University of New South Wales, University of Queensland and University of Sydney.

  4. What are the course options available for Sri Lankan students?
  5. Sri Lankan students can choose from a wide variety of course options ranging from vocational TAFE courses, English language courses, Foundation programs for University studies, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and PhD programs.

  6. Do I need to meet any admission requirements?
  7. Yes, applicants need to meet the entry requirements specified by their respective university. These requirements vary, based on the program selected. Undergraduate programs usually require applicants to have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0. Postgraduate programs usually require applicants to have an IELTS score ranging from 6.5 to 7.0. Those aspiring to study a postgraduate degree should have a good academic score in a relevant undergraduate programs. Some universities require applicants to MBA programs to have at least two years of work experience.

  8. How much does it cost to study a full-time degree in Australia?
  9. The cost of completing a degree varies on the university and course selected. An undergraduate degree could cost anywhere from $15,000 to $33,000; courses in medicine and veterinary science will cost more. Postgraduate programs could cost anywhere from $20,000 to $37,000. Students are advised to earmark at least $20,000 every year for food and living costs.

  10. Am I eligible for a scholarship?
  11. A number of scholarships are on offer from the Australian government, the Commonwealth and the British Council. Universities offer a number of academic scholarships to international students with a greater focus on postgraduate programs.

  12. Can I work part-time when I am studying?
  13. Yes, you can work part-time when you are studying. You can work up to 20 hours a week when studying and full-time during vacations. A number of part-time jobs are available in super-markets, restaurants and shopping malls. Students can also check for internships within their respective university itself.

  14. What are the accommodation options available?
  15. Most universities offer on-campus accommodation facilities for students. International students are assured of accommodation if they apply on time. The prices vary from institution to institution and students are advised to ensure that they have a safe place to stay before they fly out to Australia. Homestay options are quite popular and most leading cities offer this facility with families renting out a room in their house to international students. The rent usually also includes food that is served by the host-family. The students get to experience Australian life and become an integral part of the host family’s life.

  16. What English language tests are acceptable for Australian student visas?
  17. There are five different tests accepted for Australian student visa applications:

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
    • Occupational English Test (OET)
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE)

  18. Can I work during my studies in Australia?
  19. Yes, you can work while you’re studying in Australia. International students are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during study periods and unlimited hours during study breaks. There are no work restrictions for students completing a masters by research or doctoral degree.

  20. Can I change my course or institution if I don’t like it?
  21. Yes, you can — although there are strict conditions and steps set by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection that you will need to meet and follow. We outline the steps to follow when changing your course or institution as an international student below:

    • Book an appointment with a student adviser
    • Consider visa requirements
    • Understand your financial obligations
    • Select a new course or institution.

  22. Is there any special requirement for under 18 students to study in Australia?
  23. All students under 18 years of age must have welfare arrangements in place for the duration of their stay in Australia until they turn to the age of 18.

  24. Can I travel while studying?
  25. Yes, you can travel during semester breaks and during the time before or after you study. Australia has a huge diversity of sites to see, from beautiful white sand beaches to striking outback settings; from multicultural metropolitan cities to small, quaint towns; and everything in between! Australia is also in proximity with New Zealand and the Asia-Pacific region so there are many travel options.

  26. Do I need health insurance to obtain the visa? What is an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?
  27. Yes, it is compulsory to all overseas students to have a health insurance to obtain the visa. You have to be insured for the whole period of studies in Australia. OHSC is a health insurance that covers basic medical treatment, emergency transport and treatment and visits at General Practitioners (GP). Part of the payment is returned by the insurance company (you can claim some of your money back). Contact us for more information about OSHC or to start or renew your insurance policy.

  28. Can I continue in my studies once my course has finished?
  29. As an overseas student you have 28 days to either find another education provider and renew your visa or leave the country.

  30. Can I use my mobile in Australia?
  31. Yes, you can use your mobile in Australia if your handset is unlocked and works on GSM 900/1800.

  32. How will studying in Australia benefit my future?
  33. Studying higher education in Australia helps in building self-esteem as well as development and improvement of the learners. Therefore, it is well predicted that students all over the world are going to get attracted to the high-quality education system in Australia which will benefit them in their future.

  34. Why Australia is better than Canada for study?
  35. Living expenses and tuition costs in Australia are considerably less expensive than the UK and USA. With a strong presence in reputable international university rankings, Canada is an increasingly popular study destination for international students, just behind Australia.

  36. How long is the duration of my visa?
  37. The duration of the visa depends on the duration of course so: If the duration of your course is 10 months or longer and finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November–December), your visa will usually be granted until March 15 of the following year. If the duration of your course is 10 months or longer (finishing January–October, your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course. If the duration of your course is ​less than 10 months, your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course. Postgraduate research students are granted an additional six months past the maximum period as per the table above. This is to allow for interactive thesis marking. For example, a postgraduate research student undertaking a course of more than 10 months duration finishing in November–December will be granted a visa that ends on 15 September ( an additional 6 months from 15 March) of the year following course completion.

  38. Who can come to Australia with me?
  39. If the student is under the age of 18 either one of the parents or an approved legal guardian can join the student in Australia under a guardian visa. Married students above the age of 18 can include their spouse and children under the age of 18.
  40. What are the popular courses in Australia?
  41. According to a study conducted by Open Universities Australia, the top 10 trending courses in the country in 2019 for the undergraduate study are:

    • Bachelor of Education
    • Bachelor of Engineering
    • Bachelor of Behavioral Studies
    • Bachelor of Arts
    • Bachelor of Business
    • Bachelor of Accounting
    • Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art and Visual Culture)
    • Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice
    • Bachelor of Communication
    • Bachelor of Arts (Librarianship and Corporate Information Management)
    • The top graduate courses for international students who wish to study in Australia are:
    • Master of Business (Management/Commerce/Banking and Finance/Human Resources Management)
    • Master of IT/Computer Science
    • Master of Engineering
    • MBA
    • Master of Law
    • Master of Science
    • Master of Pharmacy/Clinical Pharmacy

  42. How is campus life in Australia?
  43. Student life is very much colorful in Australia with a lot of activities happening apart from academics. There are various societies and clubs in every college and university; be it small or big. The students get ample opportunities to take part in various activities of their interests and mingle with the student community from different parts of the world.
  44. How to get work after study visa in Australia?
  45. The Australian government in March 2013 replaced Skilled Graduate visa with Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa to introduce new post-study work arrangements. The Temporary Graduate visa has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream.

    • Graduate Work stream: This stream helps international graduates with qualification that is related to an occupation in the Skills Occupation List (SOL) to get an extended visa for 18 months after graduation.
    • Post-Study Work stream: This stream allows international students with an Australian graduate or higher education degree (irrespective of the field of study) to apply for a visa up to four years depending on their qualification.

  46. How does a student become eligible for Stay back visa in Australia?
  47. After successful completion of Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree program with a Minimum 2 year duration, students can apply for a 2 year post-study work visa in Australia where your spouse also can apply for the same extension of Visa.
    If you study minimum 2 year Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree courses leading to Trades in skilled occupation demand list for Australians, you can apply for an 18 month temporary residence visa and if the spouse has accompanied your spouse also can apply for extension Visa.

Study Abroad Guru, a pioneer in overseas education is a one stop solution for all your overseas education needs. We strive to bring overseas education within your reach through our extensive experience of more than two decades.

Our Services

Recent Posts

Looking for IELTS
close slider